ATLANTIC YARDS CONSTRUCTION UPDATE
ATLANTIC YARDS CONSTRUCTION UPDATE
Weeks of February 17th and February 24th
In an effort to keep the Atlantic Yards Community aware of upcoming construction activities, ESD and Forest City Ratner provide the following outline of anticipated upcoming construction activities. We hope it keeps you informed and helps you plan for any possible inconveniences. Please let us know if there's any way we can improve these updates.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact ESD's Project Director at 212-803-3766 or AtlanticYards@esd.ny.gov
Please note: the scope and nature of activities are subject to change based upon field conditions. In addition, during the utility work water shut-offs may be required; these shutdowns are done under the oversight of DEP and property owners will be given advance notice. All work has been approved by appropriate City and State agencies where required.
B-2 Tower, Modular Residential
• Backfilling will be suspended until the weather breaks. Work is projected to recommence in March.
• Rough in for the MEP trades will continue during this reporting period.
• Block work on the cellar will continue during this reporting period, weather permitting.
• Installation of temporary power and lights will be maintained throughout the project. This is an on-going activity.
• Daily cleanup activities of sidewalks and streets are ongoing as required.
• General Delivery of Modules Process: Deliveries commenced on Wednesday, night, December 11th. Deliveries are scheduled to take place during this reporting period weather permitting.
• Deliveries of modules from the Brooklyn Navy Yard (BNY) facility to the B2 construction site will be made within the following parameters:
• All modules will be delivered by tractor trailers and are “wide loads” under DOT’s jurisdiction, subject to trucking regulations.
• All deliveries will be scheduled via radio or other communication between the BNY and the B2 site. Each delivery will be released individually from the BNY; only when the module has reached the site and been placed appropriately at the site (in final position) will another delivery be released from the BNY. All deliveries will be accompanied by licensed escort vehicles.
• Delivery route from the BNY to the site is as follows:
o Exit right out of BNY onto Flushing Avenue;
o Turn left onto Navy Street;
o Turn right onto to Tillary Street;
o Turn left onto Flatbush Avenue;
o Turn left from Flatbush directly into the Dean Street B2 MPT area; NOTE: this turn is permitted with appropriate traffic control personnel supervising each delivery.
• There will be daytime and nighttime deliveries of modules. A maximum of four nighttime and four daytime deliveries are permitted.
• Deliveries are expected to occur on weekdays and week nights.
• There may be a ramp up period where initial deliveries have fewer than four nighttime and daytime deliveries.
• Nighttime Deliveries:
o All nighttime deliveries must take place between the hours of 10 pm and 5:30 am.
o All nighttime deliveries will be coordinated with arena operation’s events and loading dock activities to ensure there are no conflicts.
o When there are a maximum of four nighttime deliveries, two modules will be stored over night after delivery in Dean Street on the north side outside of the MPT area. One will be in front of the B3 plaza and one will be just east of the MPT east exit gate and west of the arena loading dock. The two other modules will be stored overnight within the MPT area.
o The pedestrian path adjacent to the MPT area will be closed and signed when modules are being stored overnight in Dean Street. The shared vehicular and bicycle lane will remain open to travel. The Dean Street pedestrian path will remain closed while modules are being picked and placed and/or while modules are being moved in the MPT area, either directly from Flatbush Avenue or backed in the MPT from spots along Dean Street. Flagmen will be present and barriers will be placed across the ends of the pedestrian pathway.
o In the morning, beginning at 7:00 AM, the two modules stored overnight in Dean Street will be picked first from outside the MPT area, followed by the two stored inside the MPT area.
• Daytime Deliveries:
o Daytime deliveries are required to occur between the hours of 10 am and 2 pm. A maximum of four modules will be permitted.
o All daytime deliveries will proceed directly into the Dean Street B2 MPT area and will not encroach on Dean Street itself.
o The pedestrian path adjacent to the MPT area will be open other than at times specified above and Dean Street will be open all of the time to both vehicular and bicycle travel.
LIRR Yard Activities Block 1120 & 1121
• Stage 2C work has commenced and will consist of Support of Excavation (SOE) work along Pacific Street between Carlton Ave and Vanderbilt Ave. SOE installation will include drilling of 106 24” diameter soldier piles, installation of lagging, installation of tiebacks, excavation/disposal of soil and demolition and removal of the existing concrete retaining wall. Work is anticipated to be completed in June 2014.
• Contractor will continue drilling the 24” diameter soldier piles along Pacific Street from the inside of the LIRR yard during this reporting period. The drilling equipment will be located within the rail yard. Sound – dampening blankets have been installed along the length of fence on Pacific Street, between Carlton and Vanderbilt Avenues.
• 60 piles have been installed to date.
• Contractor will continue installation of lagging, excavation of soil and demolition of the lower portion of the concrete retaining wall along Pacific Street during this reporting period.
• Contractor will begin installation of tieback during this reporting period.
How to Reach the Community Liaso Office (CLO)
The Community Liaison Office is located at 752 Pacific Street. The CLO's hours are
M-F from 9am – 4pm and the phone number, 866-923-5315 and email, firstname.lastname@example.org will remain the same. Visitors seeking the office should enter through the guard booth at the corner of Carlton Avenue and Pacific Street.
1.Report a complaint or request for service by contacting the District Office.
2. Attend meetings of the Community Board and ask to be put on the mailing list to get meeting notices.
3. Apply to become a Community Board Member. You can do so either by picking up an application at the Community Board's Office, contacting the Brooklyn Borough President's Office at 718-802-3700, or by contacting your local Council Member.
Click Here to find out more!
1291 St. Marks Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11213
Tel: (718) 467-5574